Ok. I’ve done a few product reviews so far in the past. I enjoy talking about technology. I guess, it’s complicated just like Lords Mobile. It also has the benefit of being strongly catered towards “you-get-what-you-pay”.
Regardless, I wanted a security camera for my office. I have lots of gaming equipment (I play Lords Mobile on a computer emulator) and so I decided to buy the LaView security camera.
Spoiler Alert: So far I’m very impressed with the LaView Security Camera and I give it a 7.5/10. My fans will know that a 7.5 is a crazy high score…
- About the Laview Wi-Fi Security Camera
- Checklist of Features
- Boring Technical Stuff
- How to Set it Up?
- Pros and Cons
- Is LaView a Good Brand?
- Best Price for LaView Security Camera
- Other Options for Indoor Wifi Security Cameras
About the Laview Wi-Fi Security Camera
Every review needs to have the boring stuff, but I will not start off with that. Who cares about how many giga-watts-pixels it has if the stupid thing won’t work anyways? And so, I’ll do you a bloody favor and answer the questions that you really want to know!
You’re welcome moron!
Firstly, it works! It feels solid enough that it should survive if you drop it on the floor when you come home drunk.
But no, it won’t survive if you reverse your car over it. Please stop doing that to your stuff.
I’ll talk about the pros and cons a little lower, but none of the cons (and it has plenty) override it’s core function of being a security camera that works.
In short, the device does what it says it wants to do!
Checklist of Important Features
Okay, now that we got the main thing out the way, let’s talk about the other features that this device claims to have.
Wifi. Yes it works with wifi.
Motion Detection. It works rather well. I mean this technology was revolutionary 20-years ago. At this point, any camera device that wouldn’t work would be a nightmare. This camera works.
Cloud Storage. I’ll talk about this later in the article at greater length. But yes, SURPRISE, if you want storage you’re going to have to pay for it! Nest and Ring do the same bloody thing. It’s stupid annoying…
Two-way audio works as expected. There is a speaker at the back of the camera.
Night vision is actually really good. I was rather surprised but it was incredible quality!
The App is clean and effective. Wasn’t blown away by any of the features or UX, but it worked and was clean. So there’s that!
Boring Technical Stuff on LaView Camera
If you’re not a nerd, please skip this section, it’s ridiculously boring. I’m already asleep as I’m typing!
|Weight of Camera||1.1 pounds|
|Power Source||Plugged in with USB|
|Type of Bulb||LED|
|Shutter||1/25~1/100,000 per second|
All of the other stuff can be viewed on their product page. I’m not in the mood of working it all out.
How to Set Up the LaView Security Camera?
Okay. The set up is surprisingly simple. It really doesn’t require that much brainpower, and yet people are dumb, and I’m left with no choice but to explain how to do it…
Also, they dropped the ball with their tutorial and it’s tiny and overcomplicated.
Here are the steps for setting up the camera:
- Download their app.
- Plug the camera into the USB port and then into the wall! Yes, this camera needs to be always plugged in.
- Click “Add” and click “Smart Camera”
- Follow the prompts within the app. (You’ll have to log into your wifi within the app and then show the square code to the camera.)
- Enjoy your camera
As you can see, it’s super simple. This is one of the biggest qualities of this device. I’ve tried other devices and most of them are very complicated to get started!
Pros and Cons of the Laview Camera
Okay the meat of the article! Here’s where you’ll get to hear the real deal with this security camera. Before I start, let me reiterate that overall I’m quite impressed with this security camera. It works and it’s effective! That’s more than is asked from most devices on the market. Yes, I’m looking at you stupid-Ring-device…
Pros of the LaView Camera
I’m not going to include that the camera actually works because that is not a “pro”, that’s a bloody basic…
- The design is chic and compact. Basically, it isn’t dead ugly!
- The price (currently 2 x $55) is really good. In fact, I think that it’s the best value x quality that you can buy right now on the market!
- The app and camera loads very fast. My internet sucks and yet it still works very well. This pro is a BIG DEAL!
- The app is simple to use
- The set up is incredible and drop-dead-simple. Your grandmother can set it up, assuming that she knows how to turn a actual phone on!
- The camera quality is great. Not incredible, but definitely not bad! Above average.
- The price is fantastic. You can get a set of 2 for under $55. That’s amazing!
- The camera has a 4.4/5 rating on Amazon. That may not sound very high but for a piece of electronics on Amazon, that’s fantastic. Reviewers are usually ruthless!
- You have the ability to store the data on the cloud with an encrypted server. In other words, you won’t have to wave to China every time you walk past your device…
- Has an external storage SD slot (comes with a free SD card as well)
Cons of the Laview Security Camera
There are cons to this device. There is a reason that I gave it a 7.5 out of 10…
- The plug, port, and USB dongy all feel very cheap. The camera is great but the accessories really feel cheap. I didn’t get a good feeling when touching them. They’re obviously easily replaceable, but still, I would have expected it to feel a little less like garbage.
- The revolving head of the camera is a lot more loose than it should be. There should be more friction…
- The camera is advertised as also having cloud storage in addition to online and SD. What they don’t tell you is that you need to pay extra in order to access it… That’s messed up. I know the other big security companies do the same thing, but it annoys me every time I see it.
- You need a freaking microscope to read their tiny instruction manual
- The quality isn’t as good as I hoped for. The more expensive competition cameras have much better quality.
Is LaView a Good Brand?
I did some SEO research garbage and discovered that lots of people are searching if LaView is a good brand… How should I know that answer?!? Why are you asking me stupid questions?
There device seems solid, the graphics are great. The Laview app is effective. It’s not going to win a Webby for design or anything, but it is definitely good at what it does.
Ok. I’m bored. Let’s move on to the next section.
Best Price for LaView Wifi Security Camera
As of the end of 2020, the best price that I found from a reputable seller for the the Laview Security Camera is $55 for 2 cameras from Amazon.
- The LaView website is selling 2 x LaView Wifi Security Cameras for $60.
- Walmart is selling 2 x LaView Wifi Security Cameras for $89.
- Amazon is selling 2 x LaView Wifi Security Cameras for $55.
As you can see Amazon is as of know, the winner of the best price!
Important Note: As of the time of writing this review, there was also an additional 10% promotion coupon that you can click on the Amazon page in order to reduce the price even further down to $49.50.
Other Options for Indoor Wifi Security Cameras
Laview is within a highly saturated space. There is a lot of competition.
Honestly, the LaView Wifi Security Camera is the best that I’ve seen in it’s price bracket… But there are other options. Here are the best of the alternatives out there.
- Ring Indoor Camera (insert throw-up sound) for $60. Link. I’m just not a fan of Ring. Their overall device delay is long enough for a robber to clear you mansion before it acutally turns on…
- Nest is a good brand and a solid device but it costs a lot more at $120. Here’s the link
- Blink Mini is probably the closest equivalence to the LaView but it costs a little more at $64 for a set of 2. Here’s the link.
The LaView Wi-fi Security Camera is a great device. It’s not perfect, but for the price that their asking, it’s fantastic!
Buy it, or don’t. I don’t care!