Here I am for another honest critique of Lords Mobile’s heroes. This time I’ll talk about Icarus the Night Raven. It seems developers couldn’t decide whether Night Raven should be useful or useless. They gave him good attack attributes that don’t match his Hero Skills. Classic IGG.
The one positive thing about Icarus is that he is free to play, so you don’t have to spend any money on him. Although navigating this hero can be a little complicated, that’s what you get for being stingy. Keep reading if you want to know more about this mediocre hero.
“Why do we exist? – Icarus
Who Is Night Raven?
Night Raven’s real name is Icarus. As usual, little effort was made by his developers to create a decent and enticing backstory. Ravens, such as Icarus, are a rare bird species hence his obvious name. These species are scattered across the land. Icarus wants to meet another of his kind, but his desire almost destroys his friend Coral.
After that, Icarus fell into a pit of guilt and despair. Now, this depressed bird-man is flying across the world, trying to redeem himself. A little pathetic, don’t you think?
Night Raven Score
I don’t like Night Raven, but his skills can be used to provide good Calvary boosts. His design doesn’t go well with his skills. And he looks so tiny and fragile, yet his skills can add decent defense to Calvary and Castle. How can a silly little bird do that?
His story is not that impressive, and there’s barely anything explained about him. However, his skills are a mixture of good and bad. The positive thing about Icarus is the fact that he is the only hero in the game that has the ability that can damage everyone in enemy troops. That has got to account for something.
Icarus is good for guarding the castle, but he also has uses in Colosseum, thanks to his dealing both magic and physical damage. This Cavalry hero gets a decent 7/10 from me.
Icarus’ Battle and Hero skills aren’t bad for a free-to-play hero. He can be a good Cavalry support. He is not the best, but he may just be “good enough” for many of you.
These are his Battle Skills:
- Silver Thrust: This tactics skill deals up to 200% squad ATK as DMG to enemy troops.
- Castle Guard: The passive skill Castle Guard boosts wall DEF up to 60%.
- Cavalry DEF Boost: This is one of the “When Deployed” skills that gives up to 50% defense to the Cavalry.
- Cavalry ATK Boost: As another “When Deployed” skill, this one gives up to 30% ATK to Cavalry.
For Icarus to have a skill such as Castle Guard that gives DEF to your wall’s defense seems weird since he is such a petite guy. However, IGG did an excellent job with his Cavalry boosts skills. They can prove helpful in attacking and defending scenarios. He is not that useful in general combat but works well in garrison postings.
Moving on, let’s look at his Hero Skills:
- Shooting Stars: This is Night Raven’s ultimate ability. With Shooting Stars, Icarus calls down a wave of stars that deal damage to all enemies on the battlefield. This AOE skill damage scales when you upgrade his level, gather more trophies, and increase his grade.
- Wing Blades: This is Icarus’ active skill. He shoots blade feathers into enemy troops and deals physical damage three times in a row. At max level, it can deal 1,250 damage per hit.
- Owl Charge: Owl Charge is the second active skill where Icarus can call an owl to help him attack and deal damage to the enemies. The owl can stun opponents for 3 seconds.
- Wind Groove: Night Raven’s passive Wind Groove increases the Dexterity of all heroes. The amount of DEX will increase depending on how much you put into him.
Icarus is only a decent hero, thanks to his ultimate ability. However, the bad thing is that his attributes don’t match his hero skills. Icarus has a lot more ATK than MATK or magic attack. This is a problem considering only Wing Blades deal physical damage, while his ultimate and Owl Charge are magical spells.
Additional info about Icarus:
- Type: Cavalry
- Class: Agility
- Species: Raven (duh)
- Sex: Male
- Movement: Flying
How to Unlock the Night Raven
Even though Night Raven is free to play, he is not a top-tier hero. Many heroes would do better in his role than Icarus, but he is valuable for strengthening your army.
If mediocrity is your thing, and you want to try Icarus, you can obtain him from Hero Stages. You get 10 Night Raven medals after beating 1-18 stages on Normal Mode. Collect his medals from Hero Stages:
- Elite 1-15 (Covers “Mythical Beast” challenge)
- Elite 4-12 (“Aerial Advantage”)
- Elite 7-15 (Includes “Safe Haven” challenge)
You’ll need 20 medals to upgrade Icarus to Green (Uncommon) grade. But the overall number of medals you need to upgrade the bird-man from White (Common) to Gold (Legendary) is 320. Icarus can be useful in different setups and situations as long as you don’t use magic spells. Is it worth it to upgrade him or not? You decide. It’s not like I care.
Night Raven and the Colosseum
Icarus can be helpful in the Colosseum, considering his two skills Shooting Stars and Owl Charge, and his ability to deal AOE damage. Shooting Stars is essential because of its widespread damage potential. He is a mid-fielder and a playmaker, helping teammates in Colosseum by increasing everyone’s Dexterity. Night Raven’s team also has an advantage when outnumbered, thanks to Shooting Stars.
If your Colosseum lineup is a “Heavy Attack Team,” using Night Raven is not a bad option. He pairs well with Rose Knight, Death Night, Tracker, and Trickster in the same team. But why use Icarus when there are stronger free heroes? I recommend Black Crow or Incinerator.
Rallying With Night Raven
Icarus is a good option for Rallying with his Dexterity, Attack, and Defense boosts. Also, Night Raven’s Silver Thrust steals the show again. Shocking.
Monster Hunting With Night Raven
Icarus can be of use in Monster Hunting with Wing Blades. This ability combined with the high physical damage he gets from attributes is a perfect combo. Also, the Owl Charge ability can stun enemies, which can be utilized while hunting creatures for rewards.
Tips and Trivia
- F2P Alternatives: Death Knight is the best alternative to Night Raven and a much stronger hero. He also gives HP and DEF boosts to Cavalry. Rose Knight can also be a good choice, increasing Army ATK and Cavalry HP.
- P2P Alternatives: If you’re willing to shell out the cash, the best alternative for Night Raven is Vengeful Centaur. He boosts Cavalry ATK and DEF too. Steamboat and Barbarian are also decent options.