Sage of Storms is probably one of the more difficult heroes to rank in Lords Mobile. On one hand, he’s unusable in most game modes, his rally skills are pretty much crap, and his only saving grace is a construction speed (which isn’t that useful). On the other hand, Sage of Storms is vital for F2P (free-to-play) players as one of the best INT heroes for many Monster Hunting lineups.
Despite all that, I’d still highly recommend leveling him, if for no other reason than because he’s free.
“Life is far more terrifying than death.” – Anderson.
Who Is Sage of Storms?
Sage of Storms’ real name is Anderson, one of the most run-of-the-mill names you’ll see in the game. According to IGG, he is a quiet and inconspicuous man. Supposedly he saved the world from more than one extra-dimensional threat. He used forbidden magic, and for that, he is doomed to be immortal. This is bad, I guess, according to the developers, since he gets to see everyone he cares about pass away.
I don’t know how IGG managed, but they made an awesome aspect like immortality sound pathetic. Not to mention how short his backstory is. They really missed a great opportunity here to create fantastic lore with the forbidden magic element.
Sage of Storms Score
The old wizard grandpa is not doing it for me. His appearance is comical. He looks like one of the seven dwarfs from Snow White, except he rides a horse and isn’t really a dwarf. Did you ever see an old wizard in a game? If so, then that’s pretty much what Sage of Storms is.
The base skillset of Gandalf wannabe also leaves much to be desired. While he is extremely useful in the start, his boosts are all over the place and among the worst you can get. After you use him up to boost the construction of your kingdom, you’ll probably chuck him as the last slot for Monster Hunting if you didn’t buy a better hero by that time.
Despite that, Sage of Storms is overall one of the best heroes to level up in the early game, which is his only saving grace.
Overall, Sage of Storms gets a 5/10. Good early, falls off late, comical to look at.
As I said (but you probably already forgot), Sage of Storms is a bit of a scattered character. To showcase that, here are his Battle Skills:
- Electric Shower: Tactics skill that deals up to 200% squad ATK as DMG to enemy troops.
- Construction Boost: This skill increases construction speed by up to 20% when upgraded to Legendary.
- Trap ATK Boost: When deployed, trap ATK is increased by up to 30%.
- Cavalry DEF Boost: Another “When Deployed” skill that increases the DEF of cavalry by up to 50%.
As you can see, Sage of Storms boosts are on the verge of being completely useless. As a Cavalry commander, Anderson only has one cavalry boost, while good cavalry-type heroes have two to three. The boost is also DEF, which is my least favorite stat. Trap boost isn’t of that much use unless you’re defending your wall, so again pretty much useless.
The only aspect in which Sage of Storm excels is the construction boost. You might note that some call Sage of Storms as one of the “Golden Trio” heroes who needs to be upgraded to Legendary as soon as possible. The construction boost is pretty much the only reason why.
Even then, once you’ve built everything, he can just be a fifth slot as a cavalry commander if you don’t have anything better (which is difficult).
In contrast, Sage of Storms is actually pretty useful in hero combat. Here are his Hero Skills:
- Twister: Anderson creates a tornado in a medium area dealing magic damage to enemies for five seconds.
- Lightning Bolt: This skill is similar to his ultimate. He shoots a lightning bolt at a target dealing damage to all enemies in a medium area near it.
- Fleet-Footed: Summons a breeze around Sage of Storms in a medium area, increasing Reflex attribute for allies for eight seconds.
- Static Field: Anderson passively decreases the MDEF of enemies.
As an intelligence hero, Sage of Storms can deal decent magic damage. His passive and the fact that all his spells are area-of-effect mean that he’s never truly that bad if his positioning is OK. What he lacks are powerful disables that can lock opponents out of casting, and his low health bar means that he folds easily to an assassin.
Don’t get me wrong, increasing Reflex so your heroes dodge attacks can be powerful, but it’s not reliable enough for most scenarios.
Additional Sage of Storms info:
- Type: Cavalry
- Class: Intelligence
- Species: Human Wizard
- Sex: Male
- Movement: Riding
How to Unlock Sage of Storms
Anderson is free to play, and you can unlock him by completing Hero Stages 1-3 on Normal Mode. The medals you need for the upgrade can be obtained from Elite Hero Stages:
- Elite 1-3 (Sparring Session)
- Elite 4-3 (Proof of Strength) – Are you kidding?
- Elite 8-6 (Trial of Wisdom)
To upgrade Sage of Storms to Legendary or Gold grade and take full advantage of the construction boost, you need to gather 330 medals. This includes the 10 medals you earn to hire him.
Sage of Storms and The Colosseum
You will rarely see Anderson in a Colosseum lineup. His damage isn’t enough for this mode compared to his lack of utility, and you’d usually be better off with other heroes. That said, if he’s your only INT hero (why you don’t have Elementalist or Incinerator yet?), use him, but know that he’s easy to replace.
Rallying With Sage of Storms
Among F2P cavalry commanders, Sage of Storms gets fifth place and works well only when defending. He can be a good offensive commander with his 50% cavalry DEF, but he could be better if he had ATK or HP boost for this unit instead of traps.
Monster Hunting With Sage of Storms
Sage of Storms is frequently seen in lineups for Monster hunting. His magic damage spells are good against monsters with high resistance to physical damage. While he won’t do the most damage (since his spells are naturally AoE and rely on having multiple enemies to be most effective), his MDEF reduction passive means your other casters will get a good damage amp.
After Incinerator and Elementalist, Sage of Storms is probably the third best F2P INT damage dealer for the mode.
Tips and Trivia
- Sage of Storms is one of the heroes included in “The Golden Trio,” three heroes players should upgrade to Gold/Legendary grade first due to their Administration Skills. The other two are Trickster and Scarlet Bolt.
- F2P Alternatives: If you want cavalry heroes, Child of Light, Night Raven, and Rose Knight. If you want good Monster Hunting lineups, go for Incinerator and Elementalist.
- P2P Alternatives: With three cavalry boosts (ATK, DEF, and HP), Barbarian and Steambot are good pay-to-play alternatives. Vengeful Centaur is another valid choice with cavalry ATK and DEF boosts.