Steambot is a unique hero in Lords Mobile. In a world of generic archers and simple spell-casters, this funky steampunk robot really stands out. A lot of new players gravitate toward him, and many even make him their first P2P purchase.
You might be thinking about doing the same, but wait! Before you make any decisions with your money, you need my expert advice. Read on for a full breakdown of Steambot, including my personal rating of this hero and an overview of how useful he is in both Hero mode and battles.
“Need… more… WATER!” –S.A.M.
Who Is Steambot?
Not only does Steambot have a fun design, but he also has a good backstory. I guess IGG were having one of their rare good days when they came up with this hero. The story goes that an evil warlock forced a dwarf to make a robot for him. The dwarf created a steam-powered bot named S.A.M. (Steam Activated Mechanoid). One day, S.A.M. was refueled with the wrong kind of water and gained self-awareness. With his newfound sense of right and wrong, S.A.M. defeated the warlock and saved the dwarf.
This is the part where I get to give Steambot a rating out of 10. I can give you a rating too, but you probably wouldn’t like it (spoiler alert: you get a 0/10).
When it comes to rating heroes, I like to take a lot of different factors into account. I’m not just judging based on skills and abilities but also the design, story, and value for money of each hero.
With all that in mind, Steamboat has to get an 8/10. He has an unusual but interesting design, along with a story that actually has some level of depth to it – unlike most other heroes.
He also has some super skills and is one of the best cavalry troop leaders of them all. The reason I can’t rate him higher is that he feels a little underwhelming in Hero mode. His ultimate attack, in particular, is pretty disappointing.
Don’t go closing this tab just yet. You still need to see what skills Steambot has before you decide if he’s a good enough hero to join your team.
I know that all this text must be taxing your tiny brain. So, in this section, I’ll keep it brief and list all of S.A.M.’s skills in handy bullet points.
Let’s start off with his Battle Skills:
- Steel Blast: This ability deals up to 200% of your squad ATK value as damage to the enemy troops.
- Cavalry HP Boost: When deployed, S.A.M. boosts your cavalry HP by up to 50%.
- Cavalry DEF Boost: This should be self-explanatory, but this skill increases cavalry DEF by up to 50% (when deployed).
- Cavalry ATK Boost: Maybe you can figure this one out on your own? If not, this skill raises cavalry ATK by up to 30% only when S.A.M. is deployed.
I guess Steambot was programmed to love horses. He improves your cavalry in all three key areas: ATK, DEF, and HP. That makes him one of the best cavalry troop leaders in Lords Mobile, right up there alongside Barbarian.
Next, the Hero Skills:
- Overcharge: This is S.A.M.’s ultimate ability, but it’s not all that special. It involves a single long-range attack, inflicting Stun, but only for one second, so you’ll barely notice it.
- Crumple Zone: S.A.M. emits a cloud of steam, which protects any nearby allies from all physical damage for five seconds.
- Throttle & Rev: Steambot spins around and damages any enemies at medium range. This attack also inflicts the Vulnerable effect, making enemies weaker for five seconds.
- Full Steam: Steambot’s passive ability allows him to increase his ATK massively at various moments during a fight.
Overall, S.A.M.’s Hero Skills make him a kind of support-tank hybrid. He can absorb damage pretty well without going down but doesn’t dish much out in return, except when “Full Steam” activates. His main advantage is his ability to protect your other party members with “Crumple Zone.”
For all the nerds, here are a few more stats and specs for Steambot:
- Type: Cavalry
- Class: Strength
- Species: Robot
- Movement: Running
How to Unlock the Steambot
Steambot is a standard P2P hero. That means you can unlock him right now by paying $4.99 for 10 Steambot medals. You’ll need 330 of those medals overall to get S.A.M. all juiced up and maxed out at his highest level, which is where he’s most effective, obviously.
The only way to get more medals is to buy them, and there are two ways to do that. You can either be a mature, patient, grown-up person and buy $5 packs every few weeks. That way, you’ll only need to spend $110 in total for the full 330 medals.
Otherwise, you can be an impatient baby and buy all the medals right away. I haven’t worked out exactly how much that costs because I have better things to do with my time. But it’s a lot more than $110.
Steambot and the Colosseum
Steambot can be an interesting choice for the Colosseum. He has useful abilities that make your whole lineup harder to kill, like “Crumple Zone.” The only problem is that he doesn’t deal a lot of damage, so you’ll need to rely on other, stronger heroes and simply use S.A.M. for support.
Try pairing him with a couple of intelligence or agility heroes for the best results. They’ll take care of the damage while Steambot works to keep them alive. His “Throttle & Rev” ability also helps weaken enemy lineups, making all your attacks even more effective.
Rallying With Steambot
Rallying is the best way to use Steambot. He’s one of the top cavalry commanders in the game. So, if you’re preparing for a big battle with a lot of cavalry troops, he’s the No. 1 hero to guide them into battle. He’ll increase their HP, ATK, and DEF, making them stronger and much harder to kill.
Monster Hunting With Steambot
Steambot is a hit-and-miss hero when it comes to monster hunting. In some situations, he’s great to have around. In others, he’s practically worthless. It’s all about picking the right lineups. And I know that most of you have a hard time with that since you weren’t blessed with my intelligence.
So, here’s a quick tip: if you want to use Steambot on monster hunts, team him up with agility heroes. Archers like Black Crow and Tracker work well. They’ll handle the damage, and Steambot will provide support and status changes.
Tips and Trivia
- Steambot joined Lords Mobile on October 26, 2016.
- F2P Alternatives: Child of Light is the best free hero to lead the cavalry charge instead of Steambot, boosting HP and ATK. Child of Light also has some useful Hero Skills for monster hunting. Night Raven is another option to aid with cavalry ATK and DEF.
- P2P Alternatives: Barbarian is the best paid alternative to Steambot for rallying and battles, providing big boosts to cavalry HP and ATK and increasing DEF for your entire army. Necroduke is another option to aid with cavalry ATK and DEF.